Monday, May 27, 2013

Post Blog Two. Read and Respond - Facebook or not to Facebook





Blog Post Two: Facebook or not to Facebook

       I have only experienced problems with the technical side of Facebook.  I am not all that computer savvy anyway. When Facebook changed things, we had quit using the internet.  We had internet installed in September of 2012 for my computer class assignments.  I found it hard to understand what the new procedures to get back on the internet included.  My grandson knew how to get me on again, and was very helpful in the reconnecting to Facebook. I believe Facebook’s users increased while I was off the internet. It seems that the internet is causing a lot of gossip on  the nightly news.  It makes me uncomfortable that users use X-rated language and show pictures that minors could see. We have the first amendment right to express ourselves with freedom of speech, sometimes that freedom goes for one but not for all. I may not like what you say or do on Facebook, and yet I cannot erase what I know is wrong to be in print.  If, there was one thing that I would like to see done on Facebook is censorship, especially because children read the words that show up on Facebook.  There should be censorship with some of the pictures that I see on there, too. I use my g-mail account more these days because of my college assignments.
      I personally use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family.  My son puts pictures of my granddaughters on Facebook for me to see them as they grow up, as he lives in Phoenix, AZ. My class reunion back in 2011 was arranged through Facebook. We are digital people and the more this generation knows about the internet and its sister communications the more we are apt to keep in touch. So, I like Facebook, and I use it but it does have some problems that could be fixed.



3 comments:

  1. I was right there with you, I have only been online for a little over a year just since I started college. Thank god for that because now the stuff that is on there is troubling. Some of the information is useful, most is not. I am thankful for parental control so that my daughter can not go off and find inappropriate websites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there should be more censorship and control on Facebook's end. They have many employees that I am sure sit around the office and drink coffee and chit chat when reported pages could be monitored.. I also think that instead of minors having to lie about their age to get an account they can be honest so their birth date is logged and be more monitored..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your perspectives on censoring facebook for those of certain ages! I know kids at age 10 that have a facebook account and for them especially they need to be able to blurp out the bad words specifically as like a parental lock code or even have it available to chose for ones self to have it on their own page whether your age is 30, 40, 50, etc.

    ReplyDelete