Mary Jo Jensen
J. Kepka
Cause and Effect Paragraph
April 23, 2013
The Car Accident That Changed My Life
In 1959, when I was seven years old, my eighteen month old sister was hit by a car, and I was changed forever. She followed me to a market that was less than fifty feet from our home. The driver of the car had just filled his tank at the market and was looking behind him for cars. My sister was directly in front of his vehicle, and he did not see her. I was yelling at my sister to go home, and to let the driver know he was going to hit her. He did hit her, and I saw the accident, I ran over and rolled her over to see the wounds that he inflicted on her. She spent the next year in Dornbecker hospital being treated for the skull and facial wounds that had occurred. Because I saw that accident, I feel that it has made me very weary of children or toddlers around cars. As a result, I cringe with pain when I see parents that take their eyes off their children when there are vehicles around. I felt for a long time that my sister getting hit by the car was my fault, and for many years I struggled with her scars that she now has because of the accident. After many years of struggling with my guilt, eventually I had to go to my sister and ask her forgiveness, but I did not get the reaction that I thought I would. My sister only said she had never blamed me for the accident. Children getting hit by cars still upset me to this very day.
No comments:
Post a Comment